Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Week 8 Review: We are approaching the 1/3 point of our journey

Wow! This is sure the fastest I’ve seen the baseball season go so far. I don’t know about you guys but for some reason I’m enjoying the season (real and fantasy) more this year than any other year I can remember. And to think… it’ll get more exciting after the All Star Game when pennant races get hotter. Detroit and Chicago down the stretch! Boston and New York! Oakland and Anaheim! Arizona and the Dodgers! The only teams running away are St. Louis and NY Mets… just my opinion. It will be strange not seeing the Braves making the playoffs this year, but kudos to the Mets.

Team of the Week: The Bay State Bombers.
To have one of our own… the Bombers… place as high as 14 in the fantasy baseball universe is so cool. I’d like to provide the Bombers with a little more competition, but it is refreshing to have one of our own be among the best (among the best). I’m not sure if the Bombers have the personnel to keep it up as far as starting pitching and batting average goes… but everything else is dominating. Their bullpen will remain strong and their power and speed is for real.

Hottest team: Crazy Carl’s Therapist
It wasn’t too long ago when Crazy Carl was 8th place… that’s when they had very little power and their bullpen was going through some transition. With the help of Jason Bay (damn guy is hitting the cover off the ball) and Carlos Beltran, Crazy Carl’s boys are starting to make a run into the top 3. These two guys could end up being top 5 players in the player-rater system by the end of the season. Bay, Beltran, Crisp, and Phillips are nice speed/combo type of players. And their 3 top pitchers: Schilling, Arroyo, and Harang keep moving along well. Each will get at least 15 wins, I think. Scary to think how good these guys will be when King Felix and Teixeira start playing up to potential. I think the Firebirds and the Rounders have to keep a close eye on Crazy Carl.

Unusual Stats: Oaklyn Oddballs
Very interesting… how does a team that has scores a 1 in RBI, a 1 with Stolen Bases, and a 3 for batting average score an 8 for runs scored (3rd in runs)? That’s interesting… It defies the logic I talked about in one of my earlier columns. By the way, Clemens’ return should bolster the staff of the Oddballs I think. Can’t wait till he returns… should be interesting.

Players I wish I could add on (if I had more bench space):

Pitchers:

*Orlando Hernandez: Something tells me that he’s going to turn it around and pitch “light out” with the Mets for the rest of the season.

*Anthony Reyes: This guy has been a stud in the minor leagues without the hype of Hammels and Jered Weaver. I think he has much better control (and makup) than the other two. I think the Cardinals should keep him on their roster for the rest of the season.

*Derek Lowe: Look at that ERA and WHIP… that’s what my team needs most right now. Hmmm… maybe I will add him on later in the week, if no one beats me to him.

1B:

Lyle Overbay: I’ve always been a big fan of him, and I think he’ll hit .300 before the end of the season, but I just wish he could hit a few more homers.

Mike Jacobs: He’s slowly getting hotter and his power is emerging, but it’s hard to sacrifice batting average right now… the power potential he has is amazing.

3B:

Youkilis: If you need batting average and runs
Encarnacion: If you want rbis
Inge: Only if he need more homers

OF:

Granderson: 18 homers / 18 steals
Hermida: 18 homers / 18 steals
Monroe: 24 homers / 90 rbi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home